A very happy new year to you all, and welcome back to the Spring Term 2018.
We have made a good start to the beginning of 2018, and I wanted to share with you some updates and good news about our students.
We are very pleased to welcome the following new colleagues to the school:
Mr Clare: 2nd in charge Sport & Nutrition
Mr Hogarth: Head of Geography
Ms Awolaja: Interim Head of Art
Mr Ritchie: Head of Year 7
Mr Rofik: Head of Year 9
Mr Morgan-Thompson: Behaviour for Learning Mentor
Mr McClaren: SENCo
Ms McMenamin: English (joins us in February)
Ms Astley: Head of Media Studies (joins us in April)
We said thank you and farewell to the following colleagues who left us at the end of the term in December. We are very appreciative of all they did for the school and our young people and wish them well in their future ventures.
Mr Brotherhood – Head of Art
Ms Renton – Head of Media Studies
Ms Birch – SENCO
Mr Carr – Head of Year 9
Ms Stechman – Behaviour for Learning Mentor
Ms Khan – Science teacher (Long term supply)
Ms Ball – 2nd in charge Sport & Nutrition
At the end of last term, and following our Ofsted success, we held a competition in school for the best slogan to go onto our school pens which captures and sums up what AMSI means to our students. The winner was a student in 7E, with his message ‘Follow and achieve your dreams.’ All students in Year 7 were presented with a pen with this slogan as the winning year group. This really does align with our cornerstones and it was humbling to see how one of our students could sum it up so accurately and in such a reflective way for us.
Christmas Concert and Senior Citizens Christmas Lunch and Party
In the last week we were proud to host two of our annual events. The lunch on 8th December saw us invite local members of our community for lunch hosted by our students. They were joined by members of the Governing Body. We served up a traditional Christmas dinner and mince pies. Everyone was entertained to musical items from our students as well as readings and a drama presentation. It really was an ‘eventful day of fun, laughter and pleasure.’ A great time was had by everyone and all the hard work which went into it was certainly appreciated by all who attended.
Our Christmas Concert was on 14th December. Our talented youngsters presented an evening of performances from the string players, pianists, singers and our Year 10 ensemble. The evening was another great success with new young talent coming through as well as some of our older students giving outstanding performances.
Forthcoming events this term:
- Monday 15th January: Mock exam results published to Year 11. Please ask your child for these if you are a parent/carer of a Year 11 student.
- Tuesday 16th January: Year 11 Parents’ Evening. This is an opportunity for Year 11 parents/carers to come and discuss the recent mock results and progress of their child with all the subject teachers. This is 5 – 7pm at the school.
- Tuesday 6th February: Year 7 Parents’ Evening 5.00 – 7.00pm. This is an opportunity for Year 7 parents/carers to come and discuss the progress of their child with all the subject teachers.
- Wednesday 7th February: Staff training day. The school will be closed to students.
- Thursday 8th February: Music Concert at 6.00pm.
Monday 12th February – Friday 16th February: Half-term holiday.
- Tuesday 27th February: Year 8 Parents’ Evening 5.00 – 7.00pm. This is an opportunity for Year 8 parents/carers to come and discuss the progress of their child with all the subject teachers.
- Thursday 1st March: World book day
- Wednesday 13th March: Music Event ‘Battle of the Bands.’ 6.00pm.
- Wednesday 14th March: Year 9 Options Evening. This is for all Year 9 parents/carers to hear about the options process and the choice of subjects which year 9 will select from.
- Tuesday 27th March: Year 9 Parents’ Evening 5.00 – 7.00pm. This is an opportunity for Year 9 parents/carers to come and discuss the progress of their child with all the subject teachers and the Options process.
- Thursday 29th March: School closes for the Easter spring break and the school day will finish at the end of period 3 at 12.35pm.
Monday 16th April: Summer Term School reopens for everyone.
This term, we continue to work hard to make sure that all our students achieve their best and continue to make strong progress, developing their individual talents and interests. A particular focus for us will be the preparation for the forthcoming public exams for Year 11 and also our planning and readiness to welcome our new Year 6 students to the school from March onwards.
In the meantime, many thanks for your continued support of AMSI, and for helping us to make it a ‘Good’ school which aims to serve and support the local community.