Here at Arts and Media School, we believe that every child is a scholar. Some students however, need that extra push to achieve their maximum potential.
The Scholar+ system is designed to create a culture of high expectations and foster a collaborative community of practice among our students so that they can perform to the highest level at GCSE and beyond.
Our identification process for the Scholar+ pathways is predicated on the belief that students are more than their SATS scores. During the first half of the Autumn Term, we assess students through a combination of numerical data and direct teacher observation during lessons before a rigorous process of nominations for the Scholar+ cohort. Students are identified based on their ability to demonstrate the creative thinking strands.
Once students have been identified as Scholar+, their parents are informed and they are then offered different opportunities through their school experience.
Benefits of Scholar+
Students are provided with first-refusal on additional academic opportunities aimed specifically at the highest achievers. Examples of additional educational opportunities currently existing for students are:
- Year 7 – Enrichment clubs
- Year 8 – The Classics
- Year 9 – The Classics & Latin
- Year 9 – Early entry to MFL GCSEs
- Year 10 – Early entry & Additional Humanities GCSEs
- Year 10 – Early entry to Statistics GCSE
- Special field trips and school events
- Further Education establishments collaboration
Creative Thinking Strands
Criteria for identifying Scholar+ students:
- Fluency – able to generate a number of ideas/possible solutions
- Flexibility – able to apply a variety of categories or perceptions to the same problem or given task
- Curiosity – always probes, asks questions and searches for new understanding
- Elaboration – able to add to, or build on, an existing idea/concept
- Originality – able to create entirely new, unusual or very different ideas
- Complexity – able to produce intricate, multifaceted responses to set tasks
- Risk-taking – is courageous and tries new things without needing to be prompted