Dear Parents and Carers,
Earlier this week, I wrote to you outlining the safety measures we have put into place here at AMSI, and the expectations we will have of our students when we welcome them back. I wanted to follow this up with a reminder of some of our new expectations of behaviour and how students will move around the school site.
Students Return Dates
Year 7 – 07 September (finish at 1.00pm and 2.15pm thereafter )
Year 8 – 08 September
Year 9 – 08 September
Year 10 – 08 September
Year 11 – 07 September
As of September 2020, attendance at school is mandatory. Every student has a target of 100% attendance to school, and to arrive punctually. We do not expect students’ attendance to fall below 96% (this would mean that students would have missed around 6 days at the end of the school year). There are, of course, COVID-19 related exceptions, such as a student having been advised to self-isolate through track and trace or by a clinician. In such circumstances, we will keep in regular contact with students and provide work remotely. For information on COVID-19 related illness, please refer to my previous letter.
Arriving to School
Students will be given a window to arrive at school, and will be expected to line up before their registration. KS3 students need to arrive between 8.15am and 8.30am, and KS4 students between 9.10am and 9.25am. Students arriving after their allotted time will record a late mark as previously. Students will also access and exit the school at different points, outlined below;
|Year Group||Arrival Window||Entrance/Exit||Earliest Exit time|
|7||8.15-8.30||Marriot Road (Back of school)||2.15|
|8||8.15-8.30||Marriot Road (Back of school)||2.15|
|10||9.10-9.25||Marriot Road (Back of school)||3.10|
Note: Should a student arrive at school during tutor time they should still go to their respective entrance point. If they arrive after lessons begin, they should sign in at the front reception as usual. For the first week, students will not be expected to fill in the late form if they are late. As of 14 September, this will be required, with a 45 minute detention at the end of the day if not completed.
To keep students and staff safe, we will be making the following changes to our in-school practices;
- Silent Transition Between Lessons – We expect students to remain silent in between their lessons, to minimise the transmission of water borne droplets. Students will be sanctioned should they not adhere to this expectation.
- Keep Left, Keep Moving – When students must move between lessons it is vital that they keep to the left. Staircases in particular will be two way to reduce crowding in corridors, so we will expect students to keep left, and keep moving.
- Floor Markings – each corridor will have floor markings, for where students are expected to line up. Chevroned areas are to be kept clear at all times.
- On The Way, Underway – We will have windows for transition between lessons. When movement to specialist areas is needed, should students arrive after the transition window closes, they shall be marked as late.
- PE/Dance – When students have PE lessons, they should wear their PE kit into school that day (we will not be opening our changing facilities). Please note, should students wear something other than our approved PE kit, they shall be sent home to change.
- Behaviour – Students that do not consistently follow instructions with regard to social distancing, or maliciously cough to cause panic will face sanctions. We take the view that this is dangerous behaviour which puts the wider community at risk. Everyone’s safety is paramount.
- Lunch – Lunchtimes will be staggered (see the timetable below for details. Each Year group will be given a 20 minute slot to eat lunch in the canteen. Because of this, Years 7-9 will have a take away lunch only, 1 week in every 3. The rota for takeaway lunch is as follows;
|Week Commencing||Takeaway Lunch Year Group|
- Food At Break – Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we will not be able to serve snacks to students at break, nor have them use drinking fountains. Therefore, we ask you to send your child in to school with a filled water bottle, and a healthy snack to keep them going until lunchtime.
- Detentions – We have altered the length of detentions. Should students receive a referral detention, they will serve a 45 minute detention at the end of the school day. Should this detention be escalated, they will serve a 75 minute detention the following day.
The timetable has changed significantly to facilitate the staggered start times that the guidance requires. KS3 students will begin school at 8.30am and end at 2.15pm. KS4 students will begin school at 9.25am and end at 3.10pm (unless they are involved in a supervised after school activity or a detention). Below is the structure of the day that each year group will follow.
I am sure you can appreciate that all of our plans are fluid, and are subject to change given the circumstances we face, We will always endeavour to keep you updated with any changes that may occur here at AMSI.
We are really looking forward to seeing the students next week!